10/22/10

"noodles" and Pesto!

This is one of my favorite dishes!  This one is quick, easy, and is primal/vegan (yes they can go together) and GF/CF.  No matter what kind of fanatic you are... this one is a pleaser.

This time of year I really get hungry for something warm, fatty and comforting.  mmmmm  now I am going to have to make this tonight. 

Ingredients: for noodles
Summer squash-  yellow or zucchini
olive oil
tomato
onion (optional)

for pesto

1/2 to 1 C. pine nuts
3 large garlic cloves with the skin removed
3/4 C. olive oil
3 C. fresh Basil leaves
salt

Make the pesto first.  this is super easy if you have a blender or food processor.  Put the pine nuts and garlic in the blender and pulse a few times.  Add the basil and pulse a few more times.  Then keep it on low and drizzle the oil in slowly.  You will need to stop and scrape the sides every so often.  Blend till nice and smooth. Add salt to taste.  Set aside.

Hee hee!!!  I know it is hard to tell but this is what it looks like half way through.




You want to slice or use a mandolin to cut the squash in to Noodles.  If using zucchini you need to peel the skin off.  Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion.  Toss in the squash just for a few minuets and coat with oil.  Add the tomatoes.  Fresh or canned will work.


This is what it looks like when you first start cooking it.  My pan was a bit too small... or I was hungrier than I thought.


I like to plate mine like this because it is pretty.  However, if you have limited pesto (or a greedy crew)  mix it all together in the pan.


Like this!  
My noodles are kind of thick here because I was in a hurry.  You can do them any way you want.  It will taste amazing no matter what you do.
Enjoy!


No comments: