7/28/11

Mulberry Crumble

In our orchard there is a wild mulberry tree that is just beautiful.... and messy.  This year it had a lot of fruit on it and I thought I would figure out some way to use it.

My father-in-law said that mulberries taste bad and the only thing to do would be to remove the tree and plant something better. 

It is true, they are little and not very sweet.  I think that is just fine as I am trying to cut my sugar intake even from fruit. 



The color is just lovely!  It is kind of a cross between a black berry and a raspberry. 



This is what my hand looked like AFTER I washed up. 


After a little digging I learned that the ancient Romans thought the common mulberry had the power to make you "Wiser than all others" and have clarity of thought.   Having a mulberry tree on your property is said to protect the children and expecting mothers.

From Chinese medicine I found that mulberry is cooling in nature, builds the yin fluids and blood.  It is most helpful for strengthening the liver and kidneys but the list of ailments that it helps is a long one.  It includes such things as: anemia, grey hair, insomnia, ulcers, diabetes, dry cough, ringing in ears, poor joint mobility, and vertigo.    They recommend putting a few mulberries in your tea in the morning and take as a tonic.... for all of the above mentioned problems.  I bet that does taste really good and I just may try it.




Mulberry crumble

1/2 C. walnuts
1/2 C. pecans
salt, just a pinch
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. cardamom
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 T. butter, cut into small pieces
1 T. vanilla
3 C. berries of your choice  (I used 1 C. each of mulberry, blueberry, and raspberry)

Preheat the oven broiler on Low.

In a food processor grind the nuts so they are finely chopped.  Add the salt, spices, and butter.  Pulse till just blended.

In a small pot bring the berries and vanilla to a boil for 5 to 10 minutes.  Make sure the berries are well heated.  Drain off any liquid that the berries have released and then place them in a baking dish.

Spoon the nut mixture on to the top and put under the broiler and heat for several minutes.  Keep a close eye on it because the nuts can burn easily.

Drizzle a bit of coconut milk on top and enjoy this yummy treat!

No comments: