7/30/11

Nasturtium Spread


My nasturtiums are doing great this year.  They are beautiful and they almost grow better the more you neglect them.  Just my kind of flower.   I love having flowers all over the place because they make me happy.  I love it even more when they are edible.  They can really dress up a salad.


This salad  has baby greens, raspberries, nasturtium leaves, flowers, and raspberry vinaigrette.

Nasturtiums have a sweet peppery taste that goes well with lots of different flavors.  It is a little like watercress.  Since I have such an abundance this year I thought I would do some experimenting.  I came up with this spread and I think it goes well with veggies as a dip.  It kind of reminds me of those cheese balls you have a Christmas parties so if you make any kind of primal crackers it would be great on those too.



Isn't it pretty?

Ingredients:

2 C. raw cashews, soaked min. 2 hours
3 T. cold pressed, extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 C. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. sea salt
20 nasturtium blooms, chopped finely
2 T. chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste


Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend into a smooth cream.
Add just a few tablespoons of water at first, and add an additional tablespoon at a time as you blend until you reach the consistency that you’re aiming for.
Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Whip some of this up and have a party!

No comments: