3/29/11

Natural Deodorant

I have always had a pretty sensitive sniffer, but ever since cutting out grains and dairy my sense of smell is shocking.  I remember it being like this when I was expecting.  I would have to hold my nose and RUN past the dog food isle at the grocery store.  There was no being polite about it....

For some reason yesterday I kept running into unpleasant BO.  First I went to the health food store.  No big surprise there.  It always smells of herbs, incense, and patchouli oil and maybe just a hint of Old Hippy BO in the mix.

Then I went to the post office and was lucky enough to be in line right in front of a biker who had to have just peddled his way across the country.... with no shower.  Ok he works out....fine, I'll hold my breath.  (because He wouldn't cut in line when I offered to let him)

At the grocery store I met some French tourists.  This is pretty normal in a tourist town.  The thing is...  I could smell them 4 isles before I saw them.  How do the French get all that loveN done if they smell????  It must be the good wine they have.



Now I support everybody's choice to not put chemicals on their body.  Aluminum chlohydrate can build up in the tissue and has been linked to Alzheimers disease.  The fragrances and propylparabens have been linked to beast cancer.  Good enough reason for anyone to stay away.

  After all a healthy body Odor should be a pleasant thing that conveys information about our hormonal and pheromone state.  Fresh perspiration should be odorless.  Only when mixed with bacteria does it become less than savory.

I have enough recipes to make several posts on the subject of stink.  In order to save the world from BO I am just going to share most of  them now.  

1. the best way to smell better is to clean up your body.   Shower regularly (or at least use a wash cloth on your pits.

2. Eat plenty of greens and drink lemon water to keep your PH levels where they should be.  (inside and out)  Super green foods such as Spirulina and Wheatgrass work really well.  If you can't stand the taste you can get Chlorophyll capsules at the health food store.

3. Eat Fenugreek!  It will make you smell sweet like amber.  You can find it in capsules too.

Now that we are fighting the problem from the inside out lest look at some topical things that can help.

4.  Witch Hazel. 
Mix 1oz witch hazel with 10 drops of the essential oil of your choice.  Apply to skin with a cotton ball or put in a spray bottle.

5.  Baking Soda
Plain baking soda will work just fine.  Or if you have a particularly sour smell....
1 C. baking soda
30 drops lavender oil
20 drops coriander oil
10 drops tea tree oil
Combine and mix well.  Store in a glass jar and apply as needed.  Yes this one is spicy.


6. Be sure spray is super easy.
1/4 C vodka  (apple cider vinegar would work too)
1/4 C. distilled water
50 drops essential oil of your choice.
Combine and apply with a cotton ball or use a spry bottle.


7. Arrowroot
This is really simple and very effective.
6 T. arrowroot powder
10 drops lavender oil
10 drops sage oil
Combine and store in a glass jar.

8.  Salt rock
Buy it at the health food store and rub on pits.

*** Sweat is made up of water, sodium, salts lactic acid, sulfuric acid, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and urea.   

9. Lemon refresher
juice from half a lemon
1/2 cup witch hazel
Apply with spray bottle

10. rub the peel (not the juice) of a lemon directly on your pits

11. Cosmetic clay can be dusted on alone or miced with essential oil.

*** It is normal to excrete between 1.7 to 2.6 pints of sweat each day!  That amount can be up to 10 times more if you are in conditions that cause perspiration. (yikes)

12. Corn starch will also work.

13. Fresh sage leave rubbed on pits will inhibit bacteria.

*** A persons smell can very according to conditions of health and mental well being.

14. Aloe vera juice can be applied as an antibacterial, antifungal, and deodorizing gel.

15. Equal parts powdered Calendula flowers and arrowroot.

16. Equal parts powdered Neem and clay.

*** Blonds tend to smell more cheesy or sour.  Brunettes usually have a sweet or pungent type of perspiration.  Redheads are more acid or sharp smelling.

This should be plenty of ideas... If you need more let me know because I have lots.  Do the right thing people! Think about hygiene.

PS.  If some one asks you if you want a mint.....   always say yes.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Bobbi,
I was so glad to have found (by accident) your blogs. I love all of them and have learned so much about you that I did not know. What a talented girl you are. I have tried a couple of the recipes and LOVE them. My last one was the onion mushrooms over elk steak. A big hit with Uncle Dick.
So glad K loves her cape. I wish she knew how much I loved her. The cape was made with extra love for my special "angel girl". Maybe someday I can come and spend some time with her and she can get to know me.
I love you so much and you are constantly in my thoughts.
Love you precious girl!!!

Bobbi said...

You don't know how happy I am to have a connection back to you!

I am also thrilled to know someone has tried my recipes.

Love you!