3/22/11

Cauliflower with Mushrooms

When I was little my Mom would make venison tenderloin in mushroom gravy over rice.  It was my absolute Favorite Favorite dinner.

I didn't know when I first tried this... but it is going to turn into my Primalized version of Moms recipe.


1 large head of cauliflower
1 t. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms sliced
1/3 C. green onions
1 C. chicken broth

In a saucepan containing 1 inch of water, steam whole cauliflower until tender. (about 20 minutes) Meanwhile, in a skillet, steam-saute mushrooms and onions in oil on medium heat until tender. Add chicken broth.

Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Place cauliflower in a large bowl: pour mushroom mixture over it and serve.



Next time I do this I am going to break up the cauliflower so it is like rice.  place Venison tenderloin on top and pour the mushroom mixture over the top.....  mmmm comfort food.

* The mushrooms would have been nice with a bit of coconut milk or cream in them for a more saucy feel.

Tip:  Take a damp paper towel and wipe the mushrooms clean.  If you put them under the faucet and wash them they will absorb too much water and not cook correctly.

No comments: