6/6/11

Hubbard pie

Kathy was right!  This ugly thing was a hubbard squash.   I do think it looks like it has a bird head though.


I had no idea what it was or what to do with it when Glen gave it to me.  I was taught to always accept a gift with a smile and a thank you so I took it.   Thank goodness Aunt Billy was here and had a lot of good ideas.  This thing was HUGE so I was also glad to send half of it home with her.


Remember that Hopi squash and how it was so easy to cut???  Well the hubbard squash is nothing like that.  I swear the thing was armor plated.  I tried every knife I had and nothing would cut it... even if I put all my weight on it.  I was just about to rent a jackhammer to cut it when I came up with the idea that actually worked.

I stole Jim's rubber hammer out of the tool box.  I could hit the squash with the knife and it would go in a tiny bit.  Then I took the hammer and hit the knife with it a few times.  When the knife was in a bit I could twist it and pop the rind a little.  It took a while to work my way around, but it worked!



I cleaned out the seeds.  It had a really distinct sweet smell.   Then I wrapped the pieces in foil and baked on 350 till they were tender.   You know that outer rind didn't soften a bit.  If anything it got harder!

I scooped out most of it and mixed it with butter and herbs and served it as a side dish for dinner.

I saved about 2 cups to make a pie.  This was aunt Billie's idea and her recipe.   (with a few tweaks to make it GF)



Dough mix

1 3/4 gluten free flour mix   (this  is what I use, but just use what you like)
1/2 t. salt
9 T. coconut oil (cold)
1 egg + 1 yolk, lightly beaten
1 1/2 T. sour cream or cider vinegar

Mix the flour and salt.  With a fork mix in the coconut oil unlit small bits the size of a pea are distributed through out the flour.  Make a nest in the middle of the flour and add the egg and sour cream, mixing thoroughly with a fork. If it is crumbly knead very lightly just so it holds together.  Divide it into half and wrap the halves in plastic wrap.  Place them in the fridge for 30 minutes.


Pie Filling

2 C. cooked squash 
4 eggs slightly beaten
2 T. tapioca flour
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. allspice
1 t. ginger
1 C. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 1/2 C. evaporated milk

Take your dough and place it between two sheets of wax paper.  Roll it out and remove one piece of wax paper.  Flip the dough into the pie pan using the other paper and then remove the paper.  Make your edges and them cover with foil and put aback in the fridge.  preheat the oven to 400.  Bake the crush for 20 minutes or till the edges are golden. allow to cool and remove the foil.

Reduce the oven temp to 325.

Blend the squash and eggs together in a large bowl.  Mix together flour, salt, and spices in a bowl. Slowly add the spice mixture to the squash.  Add the sugar and the vanilla, mixing well.  Add the evaporated milk in a slow stream mixing thoroughly.  Pour mixture into pie crust and bake for one hour.  A knife inserted into the center should come out clean.  If not bake a while longer.

Hubby thought it was pumpkin pie (his favorite) and he said it was the best I had made.  I do think the Hubbard is a little sweeter than pumpkin.   I think I will do this one again.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

That is the best looking pie and I bet it was sooooooo yummy!!!. Wouldn't mind a piece for myself.