6/14/11

Turnip hash browns

Lets talk about breakfast for a moment.  Do you eat in the morning?

About half of the time I do not have breakfast.  This year I have developed some really serious health problems.... caused by my breakfast.  The combo of black tea/mate'/chai, 25 grams of whey protein, and coconut milk every other morning caused my body to become a fibroid making machine. 

I found a diet that is really helping and it was the biggest blessing when I saw that it is just like a more strict version of Primal blueprint with some girl friendly herbs and a cleanse tossed in.  If anyone out there needs the info let me know and I will send it to you.

The problem for me has not been changing the food really.  The problem has been changing my ritual in the morning.  I had no idea how important setting outside on the porch with my glass of tea was for my mental health.

It took at least a month to figure out what to do with all the new restrictions... so I fasted a lot.  The last 6 months I have gotten into a groove and I am thrilled to share with you that this change has made it possible for me to get down to my goal weight at last.   I haven't been this size since the year I did volley ball and track in high school.   ***happy dance***

So this month I want to share breakfast ideas that I love. 




Turnip Hash browns

1 medium turnip
1/2 onion
salt
pepper
oil

I love this one!  They are not going to get crunchy like a potato hash brown, but they won't be starchy and cause a sugar spike either.

I take 2 pieces of bacon and cut them in half so they will fit in my little frying pan.  As they are cooking I shred the turnip and dice the onion.  Mix together with the salt and pepper.  When the bacon is done take it out of the pan.  Do not drain off the oil.  Add the turnip mixture to the pan and mix in the oil.  Turn them a few times because they tend to burn easier than potatoes will.

I thought that the turnip would have a bite to it like when it is raw, but it doesn't.  It is actually very mild when cooked.

I top mine with salsa because I think most things taste better with salsa.

No comments: