11/24/10

No Poo!

I have a confession to make....

I do hair for a living and I haven't used shampoo or conditioner in over 6 months.  Really!

I know what you are thinking.  Ewwww.  To be honest though my hair has never been this healthy or shiny.  It is growing so fast and has lots of body.  I feel like the girl in the pantine commercials.  (and I even bleach some of it)

I started looking into shampoo alternatives for my daughter who is very sensitive to chemicals.  I found that there are lots of different things you can do.  I picked baking soda ans vinegar.


All you have to do is put a big heaping tablespoon of soda in about 8oz of water and use that instead of shampoo.  It will not bubble so you just have to have faith that it is cleaning your hair.  (make sure to rinse)  Then you take 1 or 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon and mix with 8 oz of water and use as the conditioner.  Any acid will work. all you are trying to do is lower the PH of the hair back down to 4 or 5 so the cuticles will close.  So you brunettes can use beer and the red heads can use wine if you want.  Be advised that you will smell like your acid of choice until your hair dries.

If I need a bit more moisture on the ends I just use a dab of coconut oil.

Try it you wont be sorry.


Other no shampoo recipes:
Soapwort Shampoo
Yucca Shampoo
Natural highlights
Natural conditioner

No comments: