4/25/11

Body scrub

One thing I wish they would have told me in cosmetology school is to make sure and take care of your body.  It doesn't seem like being in the salon is a particularly taxing job...  but it can be.  On any given Thursday I am standing on my feet for 9 to 12 hours with not so much as a potty or lunch break.  To top that off 90% of the time my arms are up in front of me at shoulder level.

I am pretty good at watching what I eat and I exercise about 5 days a week, but that doesn't stop my shoulders from fusing and my rib heads from popping out because of the repetitive movement.

Lucky me!  I have a wonderful friend named Karry.  She is the body worker that puts me back together once a month. Not only does she give the best massage in town she sends me home with exercises and stretches to help me balance out what I do for a living.

Most of the time I go to her studio, but Saturday she was kind enough to come to my home and do a treatment.  It was so nice to be able to just stay home and be pampered.  I am dealing with some health issues and part of it involves a major liver cleanse.  It leaves me, quite literally, wanting to crawl out of my skin.  Kerry suggested a salt scrub.  Let me tell you... this was the most amazing thing ever.  She mixed up the scrub right there in my house using the essential oils that were a good fit for me.  (She also makes her own lotions and soaps)   My skin feels so amazing.  I have never had skin that was this soft, silky and hydrated.  If you haven't had this done, please do.  Your body will thank you.

If you are in Moab or just passing through check her out at Del Sol Massage .  You will be so happy you did.

For everyone else that can't make the trek to Moab I do have some recipes you can try on your own.


If you have scrapes or acne the salt in the scrub can sting.  It is just fine to replace the sea salt with raw sugar.  You can find both at the health food store.


 Basic Sea Salt Scrub
1/4 cup fine sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 to 5 drops lavender essential oil

Mix ingredients together then use to exfoliate body. Add a bit of water or liquid soap as you scrub.





Favorite Scent Sea Salt Body Scrub
3 cups fine sea salt
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sweet almond oil
your choice of essential oils

Mix ingredients together then store in a sealed glass jar. Use to exfoliate and scrub body after showering.


Peppermint Salt Foot Scrub
1 1/2 cups fine sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
3 drops peppermint essential oil

Exfoliate your soles and heels with this mixture after a bath or foot soak.

If you are going to try this, it would be a good idea to stand or sit in an empty bath tub or shower.  That way all the mess you make will be washed down the drain.   Follow the scrub with a shower and then rub your skin down with coconut oil.

No comments: