4/14/11

Weeds & Seeds Salad

One thing that has always interested me is what plants are edible or useful for something.  I am just as intrigued by what is poisonous.  I think it is smart to know your environment.

Yesterday I took  walk and a few photos.  Then I came inside and made a Wild Salad.  I love when I get to collect the ingredients myself.


This is a Chinese elm tree.  They grow everywhere here and are considered trashy and kind of like a weed because of these pods they make they will come up any ware there is water.  The pods are actually quite good.  I like them right off the tree.  They taste sweet and fresh.  You could also cook them up and make an oatmeal like breakfast.


Believe it or not, there is quite a bit of spring water in under all this water cress.  The water runs all year and is warm enough to keep the watercress alive even when everything else dies off.  That has been a nice gift.


You know what this is....  The plague of yards everywhere.  My hubby spends more time fighting dandelions than anything.  I don't mind them.  All parts of the plant are edible.  Just remember with dandelions they start off sweet at the blossom and get more and more bitter as you move down to the root.



Ingredients:
Watercress
Chinese elm pods
Red clover shoots
Nasturtiums
Dandelion (greens and flowers)
Sesame seeds
Sunflower seeds

Wash everything really well.  Toss together and then top with your favorite vinaigrette or a squeeze of lemon.
This salad tasted Sweet and Hot.  The watercress and the nasturtiums are both really peppery.






Here is a better look at the water cress and the pods.

Anything will work for a weed salad.  All you have to do is keep your eyes open for the gifts in your own back yard.

No comments: